Marvelous Middle Grade Monday: Sassy by Sharon Draper

SASSY: THE DAZZLE DISASTER DINNER PARTY
by Sharon Draper
Scholastic Press, 2010
ISBN: 978-0-545-07154-3
Grades 3-5
Reviewed from personal copy.

Sassy and her sparkle sack are back -- this time in a kitchen caper!

Sassy wants to cook a fancy meal and it turns out to be a disaster. The recipe goes wrong. The cooking is a mess. And -- the dog eats the cake. Thank goodness for friends and for all of the wonderful items Sassy stashes in her sack. Who knew stuff in a sack could save a dinner party?! Well, when you’re Sassy Simone Sanford, a little ingenuity goes a long way. Backmatter provides simple and safe recipes that kids can do with the help of an adult.

 Sassy is determined to create the best dinner party ever.  She's found great recipes, she's got her family on board, what could go wrong? Luckily when things do go wrong, Sassy has her fabulous sparkle sack to save the day.

With this series, Draper presents a character who is diverse and yet that diversity plays no role in the story. Sassy is a typical fourth grader with talents and weaknesses like everyone else.  I do love the addition of the sparkle sack though.  It's a fun way to showcase Sassy's need to be prepared for any eventuality.  I have to admit though I would love to have such a bag, even though I don't really consider myself a big purse kind of gal.

This series makes for a great addition for any library.  I plan to highlight this series with my incoming fourth graders.

The other books in the series are:

Sassy: Little Sister is Not My Name
Sassy: The Birthday Storm
Sassy: The Silver Secret

Comments

  1. Oh, I didn't realize Sassy was a series! I read the Little Sister one before. This one sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks totally cute - and i'm a sucker for cooking stories. thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds fun! And I love being able to hook kids into a series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a fun character/series. Thanks for sharing it. I am was not previously familiar with it at all.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

YA MYTHOLOGY GIVEAWAY HOP

Happily Ever After Giveaway Hop

My Favorite Reads Giveaway Hop