CYBILS Review: Big Nate Flips Out by Lincoln Peirce


ABOUT THE BOOK

Big Nate is a New York Times bestseller! Here comes the latest illustrated novel from Lincoln Peirce, all about king of detention and cartooning genius Nate Wright!

Everyone knows N-A-T-E does not equal N-E-A-T!

And when Nate's sloppiness gets out of hand, his best friend, Francis, is in serious trouble.

Can Nate clean up his act, or will he flip out first?

REVIEW

My students love these books so much I can't keep them on the shelf. However, I can't say that I'm a big fan of them. I think one of the reasons that I don't like them as much as the kids is that I'm not a kid anymore, I don't see things the way they do.  But for what it's worth here is my two cents.

Strengths: Comics, comics, and more comics, kids can't get enough of them and some of them are amusing.  When the words are broken up by the comics/illustrations it makes the book seem shorter and reluctant readers will pick them up without prompting.  There is a little more depth here than I expected involving Nate and a fight he has with his friend, Francis about neatness and responsibility.  Both of them learn some things about differences and getting along despite those differences.

Weaknesses: The disrespect here I find rather annoying, not just the kids disrespect for the teachers but for each other. I get rather tired of the teachers always being the bad guys. Although I did appreciate the school librarian being more reasonable than the others. Also, hypnotism isn't exactly the best solution to Nate's problem.

Overall, a kid pleaser for sure, but not a whole lot of literary quality here. I buy these solely for their entertainment value because that's about all that kids will get from these. I do find more value here though than the Wimpy kid books, thus the three hearts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

YA MYTHOLOGY GIVEAWAY HOP

Happily Ever After Giveaway Hop

My Favorite Reads Giveaway Hop