THOUGHTS ON READING: How involved do you get with the characters in the books you read?

I remember as a kid that I would fly through books like crazy. At least 5 or more chapter books a week if I recall correctly. I become well acquainted with the local librarian. :)  Things have changed as I have gotten older. I now take my time and prefer to relish the experience and allow myself to truly enjoy the book. An interesting plot was my main concern as a kid.

But I've also noticed something else as I've gotten older and that is the tendency to get gut-wrenchingly involved with some of the characters I read about. These are the books I have the hardest time putting down.  I get so involved I get nervous for the character when I know something bad is coming up.  Sometimes I wonder if this is excessive, I mean these characters feel real but they aren't, right? 

Right now, I'm reading Jennifer Nielsen's The Runaway King and I'm dying because I can't go home right this minute and finish reading it. (If you haven't read this series yet, I highly, highly recommend it!) Jaron/Sage is one of my all time characters and he really has a strong tendency to get himself in major trouble and while I know he'll get out of it (this is only book two after all, can't have a book three without the narrator/main character), I'm still really nervous. I feel silly feeling this way since it's 'just a book.' But I can't seem to help it. Some books just really get to me like this, usually ones in which I get really emotionally attached to the characters.  Plots are important to me but characters now dominate my choice of books.  If the character(s) don't interest me or I don't like them I usually won't finish the book.

I just wanted to know if this sort of thing happens to anyone else?  Or am I just weird? Also, what do you think about the change from plot-centered to character-centered reading? Do you think that happens to most people as they get older? I'd love to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

YA MYTHOLOGY GIVEAWAY HOP

Happily Ever After Giveaway Hop

My Favorite Reads Giveaway Hop