Read to Me Picture Book Challenge Update

DOG IN CHARGE
by K.L. Going, illustrated by Dan Santat
Dial Books for Young Readers, 2012
ISBN: 978-0-8037-3479-1
Grades K-2
Reviewed from personal copy.
Book synopsis comes from Goodreads.

When the going gets tough, Dog . . . takes a nap

Dog can Sit.
He can Stay.
He can even Dance.
But when he's in charge, can he keep the cats in line?
All one, two, three, four, five of them?

With slapstick silliness and utterly earnest charm, Dog will quickly wiggle his way into preschoolers' hearts.

I had a good time sharing this with the kindergartners I see every week.  It made for a great discussion of feelings and nonverbal communication.  Plus, it's just a fun story.  I imagine a lot of parents feel like dog, after a day of running after children who make one mess after another, only to have the child or children turn around and do something sweet.  I know in my job that is often the case.  I get really frustrated and than one child does something nice making the frustration lesson.  Anyway, the kids just enjoyed it as a fun story about a dog and a bunch of mischievous, mess-making cats.


OLIVER
written and illustrated by Judith Rossell
HarperCollins, 2012
ISBN: 978-0-06-202210-3
Grades K-3
Reviewed from personal copy.



I always appreciate books that encourage children to use their imagination. Maybe it's because I spent many happy hours as a child visiting and doing things in my own imagination and I know how fun it can be. In this story, Oliver loves to explore and ask questions.  He asks things like, "How does the fridge work?" and "Could a penguin live in our fridge?" Then as he takes a bath, he takes an imaginary journey down the drain, where he meets a bunch of penguins on vacation.  This was a fun read.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

YA MYTHOLOGY GIVEAWAY HOP

Happily Ever After Giveaway Hop

My Favorite Reads Giveaway Hop