ST. PATRICK'S DAY READ ALOUDS

I've been looking for a St. Patrick's Day book that I can really love for a long time.  I've come across a bunch that I like, some of them quite a bit, but none that I truly love.  Here are three fun ones that I like and plan to use, but I'm still on the hunt for one I adore. If you know of any, please share! Thanks.


REVIEW

Having read a number of these 'How to Catch' books, I wasn't sure I was going to like this one any more than I liked the others.  The idea is certainly a fun one but the rhymes don't always work well for me.  But I quite enjoyed this tale of a mischievous leprechaun pulling pranks on everyone he meets. Turning toilets green, throwing sneakers in the dishwater, the leprechaun sneers at all the attempts to catch him, wreaking havoc along the way. Ultimately, the leprechaun challenges the reader to be the one to catch him before putting his feet up and relaxing. As an adult, I had to flinch a little at the mess the leprechaun left behind at every place he went, but everyone he ran into was trying to catch him and get his gold, so I can't really fault him for retaliating. Young readers are bound to get a kick out of the fun rhymes and the impressively detailed illustrations as the leprechaun leaps from page to page. All in all, a fun read for St. Patrick's Day.




REVIEW

A young girl sets out to capture a leprechaun much to the disbelief of her younger brother, Sam.  Despite his skepticism, the girl ropes her brother into helping her set up traps. Sam isn't thrilled about this until Finn, the leprechaun, leaves behind a note wishing them luck, "Try and try, but I'll be gone.  You can't catch me--I'm a leprechaun." Another attempt falls flat before the girl puts together her best trap yet, unfortunately, there may be one thing she's forgetting in her zeal. What I especially enjoyed about this tale is the fact that the dog spots and approaches the leprechaun without the girl or her brother even noticing. The illustrations are adorable and the two-page spread of the leprechaun facing the last trap is fabulous. The author even includes some tips and instructions for children to follow to build their own leprechaun trap. A fun holiday romp.




REVIEW

After his teacher tells him about leprechauns bringing good luck, Pete the Cat sets up a business offering to catch leprechauns for his customers. After two unsuccessful attempts, Pete catches a leprechaun, but will he be able to hang on to him, and should he even do so?  A fun book for young Pete the Cat lovers. I also like the theme of creating one's own luck rather than relying on something else.  The inclusion of a poster, stickers, and cards make the book all the more appealing for young readers. A fun read that also raises some interesting discussion opportunities about luck and where it comes from.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

YA MYTHOLOGY GIVEAWAY HOP

Happily Ever After Giveaway Hop

My Favorite Reads Giveaway Hop