WILD & WONDERFUL WEDNESDAY: Bridge to the Wild by Caitlin O'Connell


ABOUT THE BOOK

With stunning photographs and exemplary narrative nonfiction, the Sibert Honor-winning creators of The Elephant Scientist, Caitlin O'Connell and Timothy Rodwell, give readers a heartwarming insider's look into a day in the life of zoo curators and the meaningful bonds that they form with their menagerie.

REVIEW

I confess to having a great love for wildlife.  Yet I consider myself more of an 'armchair' wildlife lover because I enjoy reading books or watching documentaries about them, but I wouldn't work with them very well at all (allergies being only one reason).  So books like this one that talk about what working with animals is really like are really up my ally.  What I loved so much about this one is that I could tell that I was reading about the experiences of a real scientist.  I also loved reading about what goes on behind the scenes in a zoo.  That zoos aren't just about providing enjoyment for the masses, but also learning about the animals and their characteristics that could lead to advancements for people as well as better conditions for the animals, both captive and wild.  Stories about pandas, bustards (a bird that booms), lions, and reptiles made for a fascinating read.  The full-color photographs make a great addition, and I enjoyed reading the italicized side notes about the animals and other related topics. I didn't realize that elephants as social creatures also have hierarchies that determine rank and treatment in and out of the herd.  And that these complex relationships also exist in zoos which creates a need for some creative problem-solving.  Additional stories revolving around meerkats, lions, flamingos, and orangutans and gorillas fill this book with enjoyable reading.  A great read for nature and/or animal lovers and especially those who want to help these animals by becoming scientists themselves.


Comments

  1. What an awesome cover! Thanks for sharing. Congratulations all.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

YA MYTHOLOGY GIVEAWAY HOP

Happily Ever After Giveaway Hop

My Favorite Reads Giveaway Hop