MARVELOUS MIDDLE GRADE MONDAY: The Worst Class Trip Ever by Dave Barry


ABOUT THE BOOK

In this hilarious novel, written in the voice of eighth-grader Wyatt Palmer, Dave Barry takes us on a class trip to Washington, DC. Wyatt, his best friend, Matt, and a few kids from Culver Middle School find themselves in a heap of trouble-not just with their teachers, who have long lost patience with them-but from several mysterious men they first meet on their flight to the nation's capital. In a fast-paced adventure with the monuments as a backdrop, the kids try to stay out of danger and out of the doghouse while trying to save the president from attack-or maybe not.

REVIEW

I jumped into this book with both feet after reading a fabulous review from someone whose opinion I greatly respect.  And I have to say the book did not disappoint, it was funny and absurd and the students I read it to liked it as well.  I expected that a book by Dave Barry would be unusual and I was right.  Wyatt and his friends were a hoot, although I had to seriously empathize with their chaperons.  Wyatt and his friends manage to get themselves involved in a plot on the plane to Washington D.C. when Matt sees two unusual men behaving strangely (at least in his view).  Just when I thought I had what was going on figured out, Barry throws in a surprising twist that I did not in any way see coming resulting in some rather jaw-dropping scenes at the end.  It's safe to say that such a remarkable story would be unlikely to come from anyone else's brain. I found the book thoroughly entertaining if not particularly believable.  But I found that believability didn't matter so much as finding out what was going to happen. I have no doubt that many young readers will find this book a riot to read.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

YA MYTHOLOGY GIVEAWAY HOP

Happily Ever After Giveaway Hop

My Favorite Reads Giveaway Hop