GRAPHIC NOVEL REVIEW: Comics Squad Recess
Contributors: Jennifer L. Holm & Matthew Holm; gene Luen Yang; Eric Wight; Ursula Vernon; Jarrett J. Krosoczka; Dav Pilkey; Dan Santat; Raina Telgemeier & Dave Roman
ABOUT THE BOOK
A bust-your-gut-laughing graphic-novel anthology with original contributions from the most beloved names in the genre! * Jennifer Holm & Matthew Holm * Jarrett J. Krosoczka * Dav Pilkey * Dan Santat * Raina Telgemeier * Dave Roman * Ursula Vernon * Eric Wight * Gene Yang *
Wowza! Calling all kidz! Do you like comics? Do you like laughing till milk comes out of your nose?! Look no further—do we have the book for you! All your favorite comic creators are right here in this handy-dandy hilarious book! This all-star tribute to classic Sunday comics includes eight sidesplitting, action-packed stories about every kid’s favorite subject—RECESS! With popular characters from Babymouse and Lunch Lady and brand-new soon-to-be favorite characters from superstars including Dav Pilkey! Raina Telgemeier! Gene Yang! and many more!Comics Squad also features Pizza Monsters! Secret ninja clubs! Aliens! Talking desserts! Dinozilla! Death-defying escapes! Bad guys! Good guys! Medium guys! Superheroes! Bullies! Mean girls! Epic battles! True love! Outlandish schemes! Evil plans! Fun! Jokes! Terrible puns! And other surprises that will tickle your funny bone! WARNING: THIS BOOK MAY CAUSE EXCESSIVE LAUGHTER AND POSSIBLE SILLINESS. No assembly required. (Pizzatron 2000 not included.)
A delightful compilation of short comic stories by some of the biggest names in children's graphic novels today, Recess is a must have for kids who enjoy the genre. When I heard about this book and the people involved with it, it seemed like such a natural idea. I mean recess is a topic that all kids love and these authors/illustrators do such a great job with their works. I was eager to see the end result. I was not disappointed in the least. I thoroughly enjoyed all of the stories and children undoubtedly will as well. Here's a bit more information about each of the stories in the book:
- Gene Yang: Daryl wants to join the recess Super-Secret Ninja Club, but can he develop the skills over the winter holidays that will allow him to be accepted?
- Dav Pilkey: Can the Dogman save books and reading from the nefarious plots of Petey the cat who desires to make the world stupid by destroying reading?
- Jarrett Krosoczka: Can Betty survive Pizza Day with Lunch Lady home sick? Perhaps with the help of the Pizzatron 2000 or maybe not.
- Ursula Vernon: Scratch the squirrel reluctantly follows his friend Squeak to what Squeak claims is a magic acorn. After being wrong over 300 times, Squeak can't possibly be right, can he?
- Jennifer Holm & Matthew Holm: Can Babymouse find a way to follow the rules and make it out to recess before the week is over?
- Eric Wight: Can Jiminy Sprinkles (a cupcake) make friends at his new school? Especially with the green vegetables who go out of their way to be mean to everyone else? Maybe with a new kind of recess game.
- Dan Santat: Eddie has forgotten a school assignment and wants to find someone's homework to copy. Will Sophie be willing, even after he puked on her during the class play?
- Dave Roman & Raina Telgemeier: Sonja and Josh are eager for a kickball rematch but the rain forces them to stay inside with the rainy day monitor, who just may prove to more than a 'boring' babysitter.
A fun collection that kids are sure to love. I look forward to future collections.