Read to Me Picture Book Challenge 2012: Spot the Plot by J. Patrick Lewis

Spot the Plot: A Riddle Book of Book Riddles
written by J. Patrick Lewis, illustrated by Lynn Munsinger
Chronicle Books, 2009
ISBN: 978-0-8118-4668-4
36 p.
Grades 1-5
Reviewed from personal copy.

BLURB: Thirteen witty and wacky poems pose riddles that challenge readers to Name That Book. With a glass slipper here and a spider web there, Munsinger's adorable illustrations lead young readers to the solutions.  

I love this book.  Not only does this book have clever riddles, but also cute illustrations.  I enjoy sharing these with my students and having them try to guess what book is being described.  For the older students I wait to show the pictures until they've had a few guesses because the illustrations really give some great clues.  Several of the books highlighted have been made into movies so the younger students have a good chance at guessing most of the titles.  Some of the books included are: The Wizard of Oz, Madeline, The Tale of Peter Rabbit, Cinderella, Rapunzel, Where's Waldo, Goodnight Moon, and Pinnochio.  Interestingly, the one that students consistently don't know is The Story of Ferdinand.  I remember loving that story when I was younger, but I guess fewer kids are exposed to it these days.  Anyway, this book provides lots of book-related fun.  My only complaint? I wish there were more riddles included. :)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

YA MYTHOLOGY GIVEAWAY HOP

Happily Ever After Giveaway Hop

My Favorite Reads Giveaway Hop