Wild & Wonderful Wednesday: What makes a classic?

The Secret Garden
by Frances Hodgson Burnett, illustrated by Inga Moore
Candlewick Press, 2008.
Grades: All ages
Reviewed from personal copy.

Sometimes when I go back and reread a book, I find that I don't like it as much the second or third time around.  I've reread books that I liked when I was a kid, but I don't like them as an adult.  But there are some books that are better the second, third, or fourth time around.  And that is for me what creates a classic. I confess I don't like a lot of the books that are traditionally called classics, many of which are too dark and depressing for my taste.  I like books that contain a strong element of hope.

I heard about this beautifully illustrated version of The Secret Garden and I wanted it.  When it came, I started to reread the book, not having read it since childhood.  I loved it.  I loved the characters, Mary, and Dickon, and Colin and Martha, even crotchety Ben Weatherstaff.  I enjoyed reading about Mary's excitement when she finds the garden and how she comes alive along with the garden.  And the illustrations are amazing.  I wanted to jump into the book just so I could see the garden up close.  I read the book slowly so I could savor every word. And above all, the book is about hope, about life and the beauty found therein.  Our world is so focused on the negative sometimes, that a good dose of hope is like a breath of fresh air.  Just like this book.  A powerful reminder that while I enjoy new books, sometimes there is nothing quite like an old friend.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

YA MYTHOLOGY GIVEAWAY HOP

Happily Ever After Giveaway Hop

My Favorite Reads Giveaway Hop