Monday, July 25, 2011

Nonfiction Monday: National Geographic Readers

I'll admit right off the bat, that I'm a member of the National Geographic Society and as such tend to really like the stuff they produce.  But the fact is that a lot of the books they produce are very well done, both in terms of writing and photography/illustration.  Plus, their books usually include maps and I love a good map.  Another one of my pet peeves is when a story involves a journey of a some kind and their is no map to help organize all the different places.  After I read the Lord of the Rings the first time, I went out and found a map, it was just to confusing otherwise.

Sea Turtles (National Geographic Readers)
by Laura Marsh
National Geographic, 2011.
Grades 1-3
Reviewed from purchased copy.

This book gives general information about sea turtles, where and how they live, the different types of turtles, and why they are endangered.  I confess, I didn't really think that I would learn anything new from this book, after all it is for beginning readers, but I did learn some cool new things.  For example, the leatherback turtle is not only the biggest sea turtle species (up to 7 feet long), but it doesn't have a hard shell, just rubbery skin with small bones underneath.  Here are some of the things that I loved about this book:
  • The book starts with a riddle, a perfect way to introduce the book (you'll need to hide the cover to do this). 
  • There are fun riddles/jokes throughout the book (kids love riddles and jokes).
  • The bright, clear illustrations match the text perfectly.
  • The captions that identify the kind of turtle in each photograph.
  • The glossary that defines key words and shows a picture to help the reader understand each term.
  • A fill-in-the-blank paragraph at the end that helps students use the new vocabulary.
I highly recommend this book and others in the series for students who love animals, jokes, and cool facts to share.  Here are some other titles in the series:



Visit Nonfiction Monday for some other great nonfiction titles for kids.  Today it's being hosted by Check it Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Story Time kit by Kristin Aagard