“Countdown to a Meaningful Life”
Week 6: Generosity
To celebrate the upcoming publication of THE WISDOM OF MERLIN: 7 Magical Words for a Meaningful Life by T.A. Barron, we are kicking off a countdown campaign based on Merlin’s answer to the question “What is the meaning of life?” Surprisingly, the answer has only seven words…but they are the most powerful words of all.
Each week we will focus on one of these magical words with supporting content that will help your readers and followers acknowledge, reflect, practice and get inspired to embark on a new adventure or live life to its fullest. We continue this week withGenerosity.
Excerpt from THE WISDOM OF MERLIN:
“Generosity is not giving others what they want. Rather, it’s giving away what you yourself want.”
Generosity multiplies. Whatever you give to someone inspires more gifts to others. And when you illuminate someone’s path, many more will walk upon it. As my good friend Buddha would say, Make of your life a light.”
Quotes on Generosity:
· "Since you get more joy out of giving joy to others, you should put a good deal of thought into the happiness that you are able to give." —Eleanor Roosevelt
· “He who gives what he would as readily throw away, gives without generosity; for the essence of generosity is in self sacrifice.” —Henry Taylor
· “Attention is the rarest and purest form of generosity.” — Simone Weil
· No person was ever honored for what he received. Honor has been the reward for what he gave." —Calvin Coolidge
Celebrate Generosity in 2015:
· March 13, 2015- National Good Samaritan Day
· July 11, 2015- National Cheer up the Lonely Day
· October 5, 2015- National do Something Nice Day
· Every day
· Donate something - While doing your spring cleaning this year, donate the items you no longer need instead of throwing them away. Find a charity near you by using: greatnonprofits.org
· Volunteer your time - We all have needed help with something at one time in our life. Volunteering at a local shelter or soup kitchen will make a difference to someone in need.
· Pay it forward - It could be shoveling your neighbor’s driveway or paying for the person behind you at the coffee shop, but paying it forward makes everyone feel great. A small, unexpected act of generosity as simple as a smile could brighten a person’s day more than you realize.