Book Review: Desk Stories by Kevin O'Malley

Desk Stories
written & illustrated by Kevin O'Malley
Albert Whitman & Company, 2011.
Grades 1-5
Reviewed from purchased copy.

Blurb:
Even though kids spend most of their days with one, desks can be very....surprising. Desks have a long and enduring history -- from the spiked desks of the Middle Ages to the beanbag desks of the 1960s. School desks, in particular, can hide a wide variety of...let's just say "things." In this tongue-in-cheek companion to Backpack Stories, Kevin O'Malley returns with six stories of desks gone wild. (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11451417-desk-stories)
One thing I enjoy about O'Malley's work is the variety of styles that he uses.  In this collection of short stories he uses a variety of styles, making each story stand on it's own.  My favorite story was the one about the history of the desk (it was fun reading the made up caveman talk). The jokes were a nice pause in the middle and the desks of the future intriguing.  The third graders I read this to did not go to sleep, I think they liked it.  I ran out of time though, so I didn't really get to discuss it with them, hopefully I will have time for that today.

Read-to-Me Picture Book Challenge Goal: 36

Completed: 4

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

YA MYTHOLOGY GIVEAWAY HOP

Happily Ever After Giveaway Hop

My Favorite Reads Giveaway Hop